Monday, February 16, 2009

My First Love


Growing up along the California coastline I fell in love with the places where the land meets the sea more than anything else in my world. Where the crisp water slides across the shifting sand whisking it away to it's infinitely temporary resting place. Where no shells are needed.

I remember rolling down the Ocean Avenue dune in Carmel and family outings to Monterey Beach as a child. When I got my drivers license I would cruise by the beach religiously before high school and park at 8th St. to watch the swell roll in. I have countless memories of perfect moments that all revolve around the sea. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months last year and surfed almost everyday. Sunsets that melted the sky as my friends and I go silent in awe have been a staple of my happiness. Sometimes when I am in the ocean I laugh at how all encompassing and absolutely impressive it is.

The ocean has always been the love of my life and for 8 months I have neglected it. Somehow I did not surfed, bodyboarded, or swim in the ocean once in 11/12 months in 2008. Because of my current long distance relationship with the ocean I have discovered other passions in life that have distracted me from the sea (nothing like swing dancing though). Over the years photography, cycling, and the ukulele have all become affairs of mine. I love them all but they are no substitute.

I do not want to ignore her any longer or find other things to distract me from this passion. I want to experience the ocean everyday. To wake up to her and let her rock me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment